So What Do We Know About Kettering?
Relatively little so here's thirteen interesting facts about the club.
1. Our 4th round opponents were formed in 1872 but didn`t turn professional until 1891.
2. Kettering played in twelve different leagues between 1892 until, as founder members, they were part of the Football Alliance in 1979.
3. They remained semi-professional until the 2000-2001 season.
4. They play at Rockingham Road and are known as the Poppies.
5. Their honours include Midlands League title (1896 and 1900) Southern League Champions (1928, 1957 and 1973)
6. When they won the above in 1973 their manager was none other than Ron Atkinson.
7. Conference Runners up in 1981, 1989, 1994 and 1998.
8. They have reached the 1st round of the FA Cup on 41 occasions.
9. Ketering made their live debut on Sky Sports in 1994/95 against Plymouth Argyle.
10. They`ve been to Wembley twice. In 1979 they lost the FA Trophy Final to Stafford Rangers and in 2000 lost in the final of the same compettion to Kingstonian.
11. In 2005-2006 Kettering made the decision to appoint Paul Gascoigne as manager, the England legend lasted 39 days.
12. These days the Poppies are managed by Mark Cooper, son of Leeds legend Terry Cooper.
13. Last season Kettering won the Blue Square North with five games still to play and registered a record points total of 96, they now play in the Blue Square Premier where they currently sit in 10th position.